0

Tendulkar is the god of cricket – Manoj Tiwari

KOLKATA, March 16: Pepped up by tips from master batsman Sachin Tendulkar in Australia, promising bat Manoj Tiwary has taken his forthcoming assignment with Delhi Daredevils in the Indian Premier League as a ‘challenge’.

Tiwary, bought by the Virender Sehwag-led side for a whopping Rs 2.7 crore in the players’ auction, cannot wait to play side by side superstars like Aussie fast bowler Glenn McGrath and New Zealand spinner Daniel Vettori.

“I’m looking forward to playing with them. I’ve not played much Twenty20 cricket. It’ll be a great opportunity, a new challenge,” Tiwary said in an interview.

The dashing willower felt Delhi Daredevils had a ‘very good chance’ of winning the league as they had quality all-rounders.

“We have a great side. We have good bowlers. There are players who have done excellently in international cricket. We have a good combination boasting of several all-rounders. And in Twenty20 all-rounders do play a very vital role,” he said.

Tiwary, who debuted for India against Australia in the recent tri-series, said long chats with Tendulkar was his biggest gain from the tournament.

“I had several long chats with Sachin. He has given me a number of tips on my game. This is my biggest gain from the tour,” said the youngster, who could score two in his lone appearance in Brisbane.

Tiwary still seemed dazed by the interactions he had with Tendulkar. “Could I have even dreamt of a better guide? He is the god of cricket. And I’m now working on his suggestions”.

Recounting his Aussie sojourn, Tiwary said “Compared to India, conditions are different. But Sachin and (ODI skipper M S) Dhoni’s showings were lessons on how to adapt to the conditions there”.

He might have returned from Down Under without many runs, but the experience has made him form a clear idea about the vast differences between domestic and international cricket.

“In domestic cricket, you get four balls in two overs to hit. At international level, you get two balls to hit in four overs. You’ve to be mentally very strong and alert. Because you have to wait for the rare loose balls from the good bowlers,” the 22-year-old said.

Asked how it felt representing Delhi and not Bengal, the young gun disclosed that prior to the bidding he had hoped to find a berth in the Kolkata team – named Kolkata Knight Riders.

“I had initially expected to be in the Kolkata team because I play for and stay in Bengal. At the same time I learnt from a source that two-three franchises will bid for me. So I was prepared to play for other sides also”.

“Playing for Delhi Daredevils will be a new experience, a learning experience, as I will be based away from my state. And I have to gel with a new set of players from India and abroad,” he said.

Tiwary described as an ‘exciting new experience’ the prospect of taking on the bowlers of his home state during the league.

“The players from Bengal are my friends. I know their games inside out,” he said.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top Web Stats